Ricotta cheese is without a doubt one of my favorite cheeses, is SO rich, creamy and soft, best of all we can make it at home in almost no time… Some months ago I discovered how to make my own Ricotta Cheese at home, and I was kind of excited to share this recipe with you, surprisingly was super easy-to-do and I cannot believe myself the years of wasted money on Ricotta Cheese from the supermarket packed with a lot of stabilizers and yucky stuff!
I also discovered that for some reason here in México the mass produced milk is mostly water or ultra pasteurized, which means that milk has been heated before packaging making the curds to not cling together properly. That’s why I decided to add heavy cream to the milk… and for a hearty and almost decadent Homemade Ricotta Cheese; cream is the key! To make Homemade Ricotta Cheese you’re going to need only 4 ingredients, that’s right! Here’s the recipe and video, don’t miss a thing!
Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Only 4 ingredients and just a few minutes for a batch of delicious and soft homemade fresh cheese.
- Place milk, cream and salt in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Heat until simmering, and drizzle in the lemon juice and off the heat.
- Let the milk sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, the curds will begin to form almost instantaneously.
- Set a strainer over a bowl and line the strainer with a cheesecloth, and pour the curds and whey through the strainer. Tie your cheesecloth and let it rest over 1 hour to drain all the whey left.
- Fresh ricotta can be used right away or in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
Yield: 1 lb. of ricotta cheese
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.
Tags: Fresh Cheese, Ricotta Cheese, DIY, 4 Ingredients Recipes.
Use your Homemade Ricotta Cheese to make savory dishes like lasagna, dips or in sweets, you can make as much Homemade Ricotta Cheese as you want just double the recipe! And don’t you dare to discard the whey! As you can use it as well for pancakes and breads recipes, to hydrate your hair or “water” your plants with it (:
Hugs everybody… For more recipes, tips, any questions or comments visit Chokolat Pimienta’s Youtube Channel and don’t forget to Like & SHARE!