For some people… or a lot of them? Watching Hannibal could be a confusing experience, in that show they mix dreadful acts of violence with an artistic assemble behind them, which can be disturbing yet amusing to the eye… and obviously that is not easy to achieve and is unusual for a tv show. I used to enjoy the art direction of it; the meticulous culinary arrangement behind every dish served, the color palette, scenery, lighting, the photography, every violent act; every single element was shown in an exquisite way, it killed me! –pun intended- it was SO good, I loved every episode to the core.
And if you haven’t watched the series, I’m sure you know who Dr. Hannibal Lecter is, created by Thomas Harris this fictional character popularized in cinema is a brilliant and cultured man, with sophisticated and refined tastes, adept to art, good music and with an elevated knowledge in wines and food… and that is cool already, until we know that Hannibal fancy his gourmet feasts prepared with human flesh and organs, his cannibalistic diet is which brings the horror to this eccentric man... and to my Halloween special, I’m kind of paying tribute to this spine-chilling brilliant doctor mimicking one of his favorite ingredients; a Human Heart, but in a cake form! :D
Actually this heart is made with my scrumptious recipe for Death by Chocolate cake, filled with a lip-smacking raspberry and balsamic vinegar jelly, with a frosting of dark chocolate ganache, covered with a homemade vanilla fondant and a veil of raspberry coulis. Don’t stress yourself, I know, I know is Halloween, you want something quick and easy and PARTY! so you can actually fill any chocolate cake you love with your favorite filling, can be more chocolate, nutella, strawberries, or any other jelly you want… If you want a homemade raspberry jam like mine, you just have to put a cup of fresh or thawed raspberries in a saucepan, add sugar to taste and a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, let that reduced and don’t worry the seeds will help you thicken your jam, let cool and fill your cake with it, or you can just go to the store and buy one hahah ;D
To make the raspberry sauce, I used the jelly left after filling my cake, I added a few spoons of water and strain the seeds to make it look like blood, drop some of this sauce over your cake to make it look more realistic. Soon I’ll be showing you how to make your own fondant, I was fooling around with some marshmallows and I loved the tiny streaks of my fondant, which gave that characteristic muscular tissue look to my Human Heart Cake, do you like it?... or is too creepy for you? I think it looks awesome! Ideal for a more adult Halloween party, and I’m sure is going to be THE HIT! I leave you with the list of things you’re going to need to make your very own Human Heart Cake!
Halloween Human Heart Cake
Chocolate cake filled with raspberry and balsamic vinegar jelly… with a human heart feast we’re going to rock this Halloween in a Hannibalistic way!
- 1 Muerte por Chocolate cake… or any chocolate cake you like
- Raspberry and balsamic vinegar jam… or strawberries, nutella, anything you want, to fill the cake
- Red and white fondant
- Chocolate ganache
- Raspberry or red fruits sauce, to make the blood
- Cut the cake in a realistic heart shape, it must be 4.7” (12cm) high and 3.5” (9cm) wide, that’s about the real size of the human heart, if you want a bigger size heart that’s ok… it’s just that is not going to be anatomically accurate hahaha :P Tip; it’s easier to shape a cake when frozen, I do it on regular basis
- Cut your cake in halves, and fill it with anything you crave, put back together your halves and cover with the dark chocolate ganache, chill for an hour to harden the ganache, then shape your cake with the ganache, clean the excess. Chill an extra hour before covering your cake with the fondant.
- Meanwhile knead red fondant a little to soften, dust with some icing sugar your work surface and stretch fondant with a rolling pin.
- Roll out the fondant on top of your cake, and cover. Cut the excess, use the offcuts to shape the aorta, veins and arteries, stick them to your cake with water. With white fondant form some grease spots over the heart.
- With a paintbrush soaked with some water or vodka give the final touches to your cake, this will rip a little the fondant and will make it look like a real muscle.
- Drizzle the cake with raspberry sauce, refrigerate before serving.
Yield: 1 Cake
Prep Time: 02 hrs. 00 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 0 mins.
Tags: Cake, Halloween, Chocolate, Human Heart, Hannibal, Chocolate Cake, Realistic Cakes, Raspberry Coulis, Human Heart Cake, Marshmallow Fondant, Homemade Fondant, Death by Chocolate, Raspberry Jam, Hannibal Lecter, Balsamic Vinegar, Red Fruits, Chocolate Ganache, Videotutorials, Death by Chocolate Cake, Assembling Cakes.
Hope you make it at home. If you’re happy with the results don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with #Chokolatpimienta, you have no idea how happy that makes me, if you’re craving for some recipe and want me to show you how to do it write me in any of my social network sites and I’ll be glad to make it for you! Have a pleasant baking day, Chokolovers C:
Hugs everybody… For more recipes, tips, any questions or comments visit Chokolat Pimienta’s Youtube Channel and don’t forget to Like & SHARE! :D