September has arrived and Autumn is also around the corner, but here in México people are busy preparing for their Independence Day celebration, Today I'm sharing with you my Top 10 Mexican Recipes so you can definitely join Us in this huge festivity... don't worry these recipes are very easy to make so stay tuned and I really hope you LOVE them as I do ;-)
1. Pozole Rojo, without a doubt Pozole Rojo is the number 1 on my list, the basic ingredient for this pork soup is cacahuazintle corn kernels, which is a type of corn with bigger and whiter kernels. Depending on the region of Mexico, pozole rojo or red pozole stew is seasoned with a dried guajillo and ancho chilis sauce and is ALWAYS eaten with a wide range of 'fresh side-dishes' that each commensal choose freely to enhance their own pozole rojo bowl some examples of such side-dishes are chopped lettuce and radishes, some people opt to add dried oregano, and others add finely chopped onion or MORE chili powder... but there's no way Mexican lime isn't there to add something extra to the mix as well as totopos, loads of them! I know, I know, all this sounds a little surrealistic... first time I thought so too but hey! once you taste this Mexican comforting dish you are bound to love it :D
2. Chiles en Nogada, this dish is basically poblano chilis, stuffed with ground pork meat neatly mixed and cooked with peaches, apples pears and spices and are joined by the nogada a nut sauce made with walnuts, almonds and a hint of sherry and it goes beautifully decorated with pomegranate seeds and fresh parsley... at the end you'll have a symbolic dish with the Mexican flag colors in your plate... And for those that might wondering on how Chiles en Nogada tastes like with its wild combination of ingredients let me tell you that it's a superb culinary experience, for its complex flavor makes it one of finest dishes of Haute Mexican Cuisine *-*
3. Shrimp Tacos, a combination of sautéed shrimp topped with a delicious, creamy and cheeky chipotle sauce, accompanied by fresh cilantro wrapped in corn tortillas... because without corn tortillas no Mexican would tag it as tacos! Believe me, this is a treat we all can easily achieve and truly enjoy :-)
4. Mexican Salad, Fresh and colorful tortilla baskets stuffed with a rich chicken salad, lettuce, tomatoes and avocado with a touch of cheese and crisp tortilla strips a la tex-mex style.
5. Mexican Creamy Corn Soup, with one of the prototypical and central ingredients in Mexican Cuisine, this creamy corn soup is beyond divine! Also with a hint of jalapeño just to spice things up a little.
6. Watermelon Jelly, fresh and light jellies of this delicious tropical fruit with a mischievous touch of tequila perfect to start the party going!
7. Margarita Cookies, I love these cookies because they are very simple to do, they have a touch of acidity granted by Mexican lime and a little rise in tone with the Tequila glaze... undoubtedly these are exceptional for this Mexican Independence Day festivities!
8. Sopes de Pollo, Chicken Sopecitos, let's say they are sopes but more on the light side, because the original recipe has lots of lard in it... I made it low-fat for a savory treat without guilt. Sopes consist in thick corn tortillas, topped with beans, chicken, cheese and a lot of other ingredients, they're really tasty and above all, they are so easy and quick to do. If you make some of the ingredients before hand, you can have antojitos in a snap of your fingers! That is why sopes are one in many Mexican antojitos that a lot of Mexicans choose for breakfast or lunch when in a hurry ;D
9. Tlacoyos Hidalguenses, This blue corn Tlacoyos are delicious, the dough has peas, which gives them an unique taste... once you manage to prepare the corn dough you almost have the base for many Mexican antojitos including this one.
10. Calabaza en Tacha, Candied Pumpkin is a traditional Mexican sweet that is made mostly on “Día de Muertos” in November and even pumpkin not being my favorite vegetable is super nutritious plus, the piloncillo and the guava add a really tasty touch to this confort sweet.
Hope you enjoy at home one or some of the entries from My Top 10 Mexican Recipes, you can see the videos of some of them here in this playlist.
Hugs Chokolovers… For more recipes, tips, any questions or comments visit Chokolat Pimienta’s Youtube Channel and don’t forget to Like & SHARE! :D