Friday, July 3, 2015

Majarete - Venezuelan Corn and Coconut Pudding

Majarete Postre tipico Venezolano


Hello Chokolovers, this Friday I bring you a traditional treat from my beloved Venezuela, I’m going to show you how to make an over the top Venezuelan Majarete or Corn and Coconut Pudding, which is a sweet made with coconut milk and harina P.A.N., the same flour we use to make arepas, perhaps you can find it in your local supermarket in the Foods of the World or International Foods aisle. I promise you this sweet will blow your mind (-:

I've loved this dessert ever since I can remember, perhaps because my paternal grannie used to make me an entire Majarete casserole for myself, which was her way of showing me how much I meant to her. And every time I smell Majarete a big smile appears on my face, just the aroma can completely change my mood. And believe me after the first taste you truly believe there’s a god in case you were wondering or never doubt of its love again, what I mean is that Majarete is REALLY really good!
Majarete Postre tipico Venezolano


I personally don’t know the origins of Majarete, I only know is a sweet we all Venezuelan grow up with… some families make theirs with piloncillo (raw sugar) and my grandma used to make it with granulated sugar so that’s the recipe I’m using for you. It has a more delicate flavor so I think you will love it too.


The first time I made my own Majarete my nanna was no longer with us and officially there was nobody in the whole world to make THAT Majarete, for me she had a distinctive touch to make the perfect Majarete, the one my palate was familiar with and even my mom didn’t have the slightest idea how to make it. Some street vendors offered Majarete but for me it wasn’t as good hence I thought I could make it… What was the worst that could happen? That I made a mess out of it? So what!? It was my chance to try to deliver a recipe I tasted a thousand times just after I had seen nana do it.

I totally remember feeling like a mad scientist in my first attempt to make Majarete but it turned out great, my sister didn’t want it to try it and I had to force feeding her hahaha ever since she’s always asking me for more, she loved it badly and now she can eat the whole casserole by herself. Since I left Venezuela my sister ask my mom to make Majarete with this recipe, I think she’s an addict!

Majarete

Vanessa Hernández
Published 07/03/2015
Emblematic Venezuelan sweet made with coconut milk and harina PAN. This corn and coconut pudding will transport you to a place you never been before and oddly make you feel at home n_n

Ingredients

  • 5 cups of coconut milk
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 cup of white harina P.A.N
  • 1 cup of fresh coconut
  • 1 stick of cinnamom


Instruccions


  1. In a saucepan pour the coconut milk. In the video I show how to make your own coconut milk but you can buy it from the supermarket and skip that procedure. 
  2. Add the sugar and cook on medium heat, add the harina PAN and the cinnamon stick, cook and whisk for 20 minutes until is thick avoiding clumps to form. Let it cook for about 3 minutes more and off the heat. Pour the mix in individual molds or in a big one. Let it cool and refrigerate before serving. When ready you’ll see it has the consistency of a pudding, that’s what we are aiming! ;-)
Yield: 5 Servings.
Prep Time: 0 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 25 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
Tags: Majarete, Harina Pan, Coconut, Venezuela, Venezuelan Sweet, Venezuelan Cuisine, Coconut Milk, Corn Flour.

Majarete Postre tipico Venezolano
 Chokolat Pimienta 2012
chokolatpimienta.com
The last time I made Majarete I gave one to Adri (my blog’s editor) and one to Fran my neighbor, they both loved it, Adri is Mexican and it was kind of a new experience for her and Fran being a fellow Venezuelan, she felt a little bit more close our dearly loved Venezuela, I know it made her happy. I hope Majarete to be a great experience for you too.

See you next week with more recipes, have a lovely weekend! 

For more recipes, tips, any questions or comments visit my Youtube Channel, new recipes every Monday, Wednesday & Friday and a lot of tips any-day!

No comments:

Printfriendly