Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas dinner roast turkey and pasta in green sauce


Weeeeee, It’s almost Christmas, what a joy, the air is full with smells of eggnog and cake, don’t you think? It might be because this time of the year is when you find the most tasty foods at home, it’s not fair, you then wonder why dresses don’t fit anymore, but well, what can you do about it, a lot of great food together, and today I’m going to give you even more ideas to cook on December 24th and 31th, this is my foolproof turkey recipe and a pasta with green sauce that is to die for.

I remember the first time I made an Entire turkey, It was here in Mexico, It was really scary, what if it turn out raw? What if it doesn’t taste good? Or what am I going to do with that much turkey? I kept asking, but whatever, Omar was given one at work for free and he came home with it, so either I cooked it or I gave it away, so obviously, I cooked it, using some recipes of the internet as guidance, because I had no Idea how to cook something that big. It turned out to be really easy to make a turkey with wine for the Christmas dinner, just marinate it to add more flavor, then to the oven, so with this previous experience, I felt more confident to make it and prove you that it can be done at home and it will be divine.

cena de navidad pavo al vino y pasta en salsa verde

While I write this I’m drinking a hot punch, I’m a little sick and the rum will help me get thru this hahaha, It feels like being at home with my mom and my sister, it would be awesome to be able to teletransport  and be with them on these holydays, but let’s not get nostalgic, because then we’ll all start crying, as I was saying, marinate the turkey is really important, because the turkey is usually very dry, and it’s not really pleasant to eat food that gets stuck on your mouth and leaves it dryyyyy and you have to get it down your throat with water, wine, or whatever, to avoid this, lets marinate the turkey 1 day early, I used a natural turkey, not smoked, if you can find it grown in an Organic farm even better.

Roast Turkey 

Vanessa Hernández
Published 12/22/2014
Because Making a delicious turkey for Christmas dinner can be intimidating, you'll see it's very simple.

Ingredients

Marinated

• 4 liters of water
• 1 Leek
• 2 stalks of celery
• 2 carrots
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 3 onions
• 1/2 red peper
• 1 tablespoon of pepper
• 3 or 4 spring onions
• 2 cups of sea salt
• 4 cups of sugar

• 5 kg turkey 
• 1 onion
• 1/2 bottle dry white wine
• 300g of unsalted butter
• Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Place all the ingredients for the marinade in a Le Creuset roasting pan, cook on high heat for 30 minutes, let it cool completely, drain and reserve the liquid, transfer the liquid to the roasting pan and marinate the turkey for 24 hours, rotating it every 4 hours.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 ° F. Remove the turkey from the marinade and dry with paper towels.

3.Put the turkey back into the roasting pan, insert 1 onion in the cavity of the turkey and cover with butter, wine, season with salt and pepper. Bake for 3-4 hours at 350ºF the first 2 hours, then raise the temperature to roast the turkey, removing the lid.

Serve: One 5 Kgs turkey
Prep Time: 23 hrs. 59 mins.
Cook time: 04 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 27 hrs. 59 mins.
Tags: Christmas, Le Creuset, turkey, Christmas Dinner, Wine.

cena de navidad pavo al vino y pasta en salsa verde
To accompany out little turkey, I made some pasta with green sauce, it’s a typical side dish for Christmas dinner here in Mexico, ta Venezuela we never have pasta with turkey, but I decided to make it to try it, since I had no Idea how to make it, I asked for the advice of my best friend, he instead called his mom, who cooks delicious, Ms. Patricia gave me her recipe, it is not exactly like hers since I never use a recipe as it is, I lowered the amount of chilies used, but I loved it, It’s super delicious, and goes great with the turkey, I was really surprised, so the credit of the recipe goes to her.

Green Sauce Pasta 

Patricia González y Vanessa Hernández
Published 12/22/2014
A delicious pasta, with a super silky spinach sauce and Poblano chilies.

Ingredients

• 500g of pasta

• 1 bunch of washed spinach
• 1 Poblano chili
• 250 ml of  cream
• 1/2 cup of evaporated milk
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 chicken stock cube
• Parmesan or Manchego cheese to taste

Instructions


1. Cook the pasta as directed by the manufacturer, strain and reserve.

2. For the cream,  place the spinach a Seeded chili, half cream and chicken bouillon cube in a blender, grind and keep adding evaporated milk, if necessary, season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour the mixture over the pasta, sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for about 20 min while the cheese gratin.

Yield: 4-6 people
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Christmas, Le Creuset, turkey, Christmas Dinner, Pasta, green sauce, poblano chili sauce.
cena de navidad pavo al vino y pasta en salsa verde

I hope you make these recipes at home and let me know how they went, if you want to give an exotic touch, add pomegranate molasses, It’s delicious, and adds another layer of flavor, I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and if you were well behaved, and I know you did, let Santa or the universe bring you the best presents and blessings, see you around Tuesday with another tasty recipe.

No comments:

Printfriendly