Monday, September 15, 2014

Red Pozole, Mexican recipe



As a Gift for this long weekend (in Mexico), I bring to you this delicious recipe that was taught by a dear Mexican friend, there are so many pozole recipes around, everyone has their way to make it,  I added my personal touch, I saute the meat to add more flavour, I know this is not done usually and I've seen a few comments pointing this and that, but it is a cooking technic used to enhance the flavours, and I think it adds to the recipe, but as I said, everyone has their recipe, How do you make yours? do you like it Red, White or Green?


The Pozole, for those who don't know what it is, It's like a soup made from Cacahuazintle corn kernels, It's a corn with bigger and whiter kernels, depending on the region of Mexico it is made, it can have chicken, beef or pork, it is eaten with a side of lettuce, chopped radish, coriander, tostadas, and chillies.

the first time I had a pozole, I still lived at poza rica, And it was my friend Clau's Birthday, her mom came to visit and she made this delicious dish, and I fell in love with it, and when I moved to Villa, another friend of mine taught me, I was so happy, but to make it my own I researched on the internet, and consulted on other sites and I realised, there are thousand ways to make the pozole.

Don't think I'm sharing this recipe without the judgement of my Mexican friends, 3 good friends tried it and I got their seal of approval, the only thing missing for them, was that it needed to me a little bit more spicy.



Red Pozole 

Ingredients

  • 500 grs. of pork leg 
  • 500 grs. of pork ribs 
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil 
  • 1 kilo of pre cooked pozole corn 
  • 4 liters of water + 1 cup 
  • 2 guajillo chiles 
  • 2 ancho chiles 
  • 1 onion 
  • 5 cloves of garlic 
  • 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes 
  • 2 bay leaves 
  • 1 sprig of thyme 
  • dried oregano 
  • 2 buckets of chicken broth

Side

  • Chopped lettuce 
  • Chopped radishes 
  • 1/2 onion, chopped 
  • Cilantro chopped 
  • Corn tortillas 
  • Chili flakes 
  • Lemon

  1. Clean the chiles, remove the seeds and the veins, boil the peppers in boiling water for 5 min, let  it stand another 5 minutes and remove them from water. Place the chiles in a blender and blend with 1/2 onion, 1 cup water and 2 garlic cloves. Reserve. 
  2. Place the pot of stew on the fire and add the oil, then brown the minced pork into bite sizes , when the meat is browned (around 5 min) pour water, corn pozole. bouillon cubes of chicken, herbs, onion and garlic, finally add the chilly sauce that we reserved. Cook for 30 min. 
  3. Add the tomatoes and continue cooking for 1 hour or until meat is tender. 
  4. Serve the pozole with shredded lettuce, radishes, diced onion, lemon, a touch of coriander and tortillas.

Yield: 6 persons
Tags: Mexico, Easy Recipe, Red Pozole, pozole, Mexican Recipe


Be on the look out for the next posts, with more Mexican recipes, video tutorials and a lot of surprises, Let me tell you that this month my shop Chokolat Pimienta  has a super promo, for every purchase, you get a 5% discount on your next purchase.

Follow my adventures in the kitchen thru my FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram and my Youtube channel, Subscribe and be the first to know about new recipes, novelties, releases and contests, if you make this or any other of my recipes,  take a picture and share it with us thru #chokolatpimienta on twitter and Instagram. Kisses and hugs for you, and let me sweeten your days.

Visit Chokolat Pimienta Shop!  

                                                          

No comments:

Printfriendly