Monday, September 22, 2014

Chiles en Nogada




This week at Chokolat Pimienta we continue to celebrate Mexico, this time with my new favourite recipe, "Chiles en Nogada". 

The Chiles en Nogada, for those who doesn't know it, are poblano chillies, stuffed with grounded pork meat and fruits like peaches, apples and pears, it is joined by a Nuts sauce (Nogada) and its decorated with pomegranate and fresh parsley, It sounds like a crazy flavour combination, I know, For those of us that are not Mexican, this combination is hard to come by, but trust me when I say that it is really good, I would have never imagined I would like it this much.

Even though I've been living in Mexico for about 5 years I never tasted ate them, but this year I decided making them and they where a hit, I invited my good friend Ileana, a Mexican Chef, so that she could give me the final verdict, and it passed with flying colours, I was really pleased with this result, can you imagine, even if she is my friend, if it was bad, she would tell me, and cooking to a chef is an additional pressure.

First an apology, I could not make the video in English, I had problems with the original files and I couldn't recover them but I leave to you the instructions as detailed as possible so you can make them at home.

Chiles en Nogada

Vanessa Hernandez
Published 09/22/2014
A typical Mexican dish, poblano chiles filled with pork and fruit, topped with walnut sauce and pomegranate seeds, made with all the love in the world from a Venezuelan.

Ingredients

  • 4 to 6 poblano chiles
  • 300 grs of ground pork meat
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 1/2 chopped tomatoes (skinned)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 yellow apple peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 pear, peeled and chopped
  • 1 peach peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup of raisins
  • 1/4 cup of chopped almonds
  • Chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil


Nogada

  • 100 grs of cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup of goat cheese
  • 1/2 cup of cream
  • 1 cup of walnuts
  • 1/2 cup of almonds
  • salt to taste 
  • 3 tablespoons of sherry
  • Pomegranate Seeds
  • Parsley



Instructions

1. Place over medium high heat a pan, then add the oil, add the onion and garlic and saute for about 3 min, incorporates beef and cook until golden.
2. Stir in spices and add salt & pepper, then add the tomatoes, cook for 10 min on low heat with pot covered, after 10 min add the sherry, chopped fruit and cook for 5 minutes, add the rest of ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes more. Reserve.
3.  Burn the skin of the chiles by fire, then place them in a plastic bag to sweat, remove the skin in a bowl of water and vinegar, remove the seeds inside the chiles and veins. Reserve.
4. To make the walnut sauce place the ingredients in a blender, if necessary you can add a little more cream.
5. Fill the chiles with the meat and serve covered with walnut sauce, garnish with parsley and pomegranate.

Yield: 2 personas
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Cook Time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Total Time: 1 hrs. 30 mins.
Tags: Mexico, Easy recipes, Chiles en Nogada, Mexican recipe.


Be on the look out for the next posts, with more recipes, video tutorials and a lot of surprises, Let me tell you that this month my shop Chokolat Pimienta  has a super promo, for every purchase, you get a 5% discount on your next purchase.

Follow my adventures in the kitchen thru my FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram and my Youtube channel, Subscribe and be the first to know about new recipes, novelties, releases and contests, if you make this or any other of my recipes,  take a picture and share it with us thru #chokolatpimienta on twitter and Instagram. Kisses and hugs for you, and let me sweeten your days.



                                                          

No comments:

Printfriendly